Monday, June 29, 2009

Blog Entry #2

William DeKooning

This piece is composed of thick, bold, aggressive brush strokes, with very earthy tones. The earthy tones contrast well with the lady who is abstractly depicted in the center of the image. The artist did a great job of catching his emotion at the time he was creating the painting; it is very evident that he was angry.

The identity is some what skewed by the bold brush strokes, but it depicts the crazy/monstrous side that women posses. If I had to guess I would say that he was breaking up with a girl when he created this work of art. The earthy tones normally suggest calm and maternal feeling. Which leads me to believe that image is about woman.

The face on the figure in what attracted to me this image. It reminds me of monkey, but then I noticed that it was on a woman’s body. Also I like this image because of the uses of the womanly earthy tones and contrasts it with a monstrous image. Earthy tones normally catch my eye simply because they are so versatile, you can make a dark image or happy image. Or like this image some were in the middle.

No comments: